January 2015 by Marta Ribes
The Hipopressive® Abdominal Exercise consists on a series of postural exercises, combined with specific diaphragmatic breathing and are designed to tone the abdominal muscles and exercise the muscles of the pelvic floor.
There are multiple benefits of this exercise, such as:
- It increases both the oblique and transverse abdominal muscles while stabilizing the lumbar spine and reducing the size of the waist
- It improves the abdominal diastasis (separation of the abdominal rectum, especially postpartum)
- The improvement and better control of bladder functions
- The prevention and improvement of the prolapse in pelvic organs (descent of the uterus / bladder / rectum)
- Improvement in sexual relations due to strengthening of the muscular tone
- Reduces the cases of lower back pain: “lumbago” and “dorsalgia”
- Improvement of body awareness
- Helps restore flow within the stomach, improving constipation
The Hipopressive Exercise is suitable for all ages and sexes, and is especially beneficial for women. It is also highly recommended in cases of post-partum and pelvic floor dysfunction, and improves the abdominal state.
Because the Hipopressive® Abdominal Exercise is very intricate and a challenge to do properly, it is essential you learn how to do it in a small group or individually, always with the help of a properly accredited professional.
- Contraindications for Hipopressive Exercise: hypertension, severe heart disease and pregnancy.
How the Hipopressive® Abdominal Exercise differs from classic abdominal exercises:
The practice of classic abdominal exercises, contrary to what it seems, is counterproductive in women, especially after childbirth and for the pelvic floor in general. When these exercises are performed, intra-abdominal pressure is increased and is transmitted to the perineum, which can weaken or worsen the condition if it is already weakened. Traditional abdominal exercises also decrease muscle tone in average by 20%. In cases with diastasis, they can even enlarge the gap between the abdominal rectus and the muscles and increase urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.
Fisioterapeuta especialitzada uro-ginecologia, obstetrícia, coloproctología i disfuncions sexuals.